This is another card that I made during my vacation. BGC is one of the very first challenges that I participated in, and of late I haven’t participated in their challenges, and this makes me feel sad, and sort of guilty.
I truly love the challenges they set, the DT inspiration, and the general affability.
Every time they set a challenge, I intend to participate.
But, then due to procrastination I often miss challenge deadlines.
So, this time I wanted to make sure that I participated.
So, I dropped by their blog, and saw the theme.
The theme this time around is “Latte Love” – my favourite early morning drink.
Unfortunately for me I don’t own any coffee/cup themed stamps. Neither do I own coffee coloured pattern paper.
I pulled out all my craft supplies, and started to identify stuff that could be used with the theme.
1. Make a card base out of Kraft CS
2. Layer it with Yellow Punch Paper/ Pattern Paper
3. Mount a Kraft CS piece with Hero Arts Text Script
4. Layer Vellum on Top of it, and place my sentiment and image on top of it.
Now for the actual items of interest – The Coffee Cup, and the sentiment.
I drew a coffee cup roughly with a pencil, and fussy cut it. I then used this as a guide and made a paper-pieced coffee cup. The actual coffee in the cup is Rusty Hinge + Walnut Stain. I drew a small swirl in black jet pen, to give it the coffee effect.
I wasn’t happy with the cup though. If you look close at the Prima PP, it is actually a subtle honey comb design. Even though it looked pretty, it just wasn’t giving me the effect I wanted. So, I ran my clear embossing pen along the honey comb lines, and embossed it with Zing Black Glitter Embossing Powder. Nice.. The cup was getting better, and not quite the way I want it.
It was then I noticed that there was a subtle hint of pink in the Yellow PP. I straight away grabbed my worn lipstick ink pad, and dabbed some ink with tissue wipes randomly, and stamped the Hero Arts Script Stamp on it and perfect! Just the way I like my coffee.
I wanted to pair it with an appropriate sentiment. Here are the sentiments that I considered.
– Behind every successful woman there is lots and lots of [coffee cup image]
– Love you; Even more than [coffee cup image]
– I’m addicted to you; just like [coffee cup image]
I wasn’t happy with any of these, and I again went through the few stamp sets I had at hand, and settled on this
– You are amazing, just like [coffee cup image]. The problem is I only had “You are amazing” in Kristina Werner’s handwriting. So, I had to write the latter half myself. I tried writing in a scrap piece of paper first, and then wrote with a clear embossing pen on Vellum. It came out so well. I was so happy with myself. Do you girls like it as well?
I heat embossed the sentiment in Zing Black Glitter embossing powder, and it looks awesome! I am so glad I made this purchase.
Entering my card into the BGC – “Latte Love” Challenge
Here’s my card
I love the card, but there is one thing I don’t like about it – the wonky vellum! The problem is I heat embossed it after I mounted it onto the Kraft CS. Warning to fellow card-makers. Heat Emboss Vellum before you mount it onto anything.
ETA: Looks like I missed the stitching part of the challenge. I will be adding Faux stitched tonight, and then will add my card to the BGC linky.
Finally updated the card with Faux-stitching.
Did you see my watermark? I made this myself. The handwriting is mine 🙂 So happy! I designed the header for my blog as well 🙂
Oh.. Looky here! I got a honorable mention for my Kite Card at BGC. Happy Happy!